Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Houston Thus Far

While I can't say that we're in love with the city of Houston, we are learning to love our little suburb in North Houston. When driving from downtown home, it's like a breath of fresh air when you enter the suburbs and see the trees lining the streets. While we have loved our new house from the beginning, the city itself is just starting to feel a little bit like home, which is probably why I haven't wanted to blog about our lives here until now. I guess I finally have something positive to say :)

It's really pretty funny to think about since Brad had to practically drag me from Dallas to San Antonio kicking and screaming (no, not literally, just complaining and pouting.) But once we got there, our life just fell into place so quickly, and we fell in love with the city (Brad for the second time). It was as if the Lord just poured blessing after blessing upon us in the first month of being there...a wonderful church, friends...and a beautiful baby boy 7 months later. I guess he knew how much we were going to need those things if we were going to survive Gray's early arrival and 6 week stay in the hospital. Because that transition ended up being so easy, it really wasn't terribly difficult to think about moving again, although we were of course so sad to be leaving our wonderful family and friends in San Antonio.

But, the transition just hasn't happened quite as easily as we would have hoped here. While Brad is loving his new position, unfortunately, I was laid off from my ideal, part time, work from home job and the church search has been anything but fast. One of the best things about being here has been getting to reconnect with some old friends. But, in four months of living here, we have also had to say good-bye to 2 of our wonderful friends who already lived here when we arrived :( We miss you Miranda and Lauren&Andrew!

But, things have been looking up the past few weeks starting with finding a church home! FINALLY! After visiting 7 churches (yes, we realize that's a ridiculous amount), we were about ready to just pick one and dive in since we were tired of searching when a friend of ours told us about a new start up church right in our area. Then when several staff members from our church in San Antonio recommended the same church, we decided to at least check it out. After the first Sunday we still weren't positive if that's where God wanted us, but we felt like we should go back. The next week, I met a girl at the gym and I came home to tell Brad that I felt like I needed to pray that I would run into her again. Then when we walked into church that next Sunday, there she was! That was the last of several things confirming it in our hearts that that's where we should be. It has felt good to finally find a church home....who knew how long 4 months could feel not being plugged into a body of believers. And we're so excited that some of our best friends from Dallas (Heather & Chris) will be moving to the Houston area very soon, which helps ease the transition even more!

While I'm still getting used to being solely a stay at home Mom, I'm learning to love it more every day. Sometimes I just sit back and watch Grayson and just think how cute he is and how precious his little personality is. While certain things in life aren't always how I imagined them (like having a career :), I almost always can't believe that being a wife and a mom are exactly what I hoped they would be (hard work but wonderful)!

1 comment:

Miranda said...

Oh I miss you guys too! More than you know. I am so thrilled to hear about finding a church, what an answer to prayer! Wahoo! Can't wait to hear all
about it! And let me be sure to say that you have one cute kid there! LOVE the last blog and all the pics!