Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cast Your Votes

Monday is the big day!  Will Baby Smith be another boy or a girl?  Go to the left column of our blog and cast your vote, and leave us a comment telling us what you voted and why.

So far, I only voted for Grayson, who is the only one in our family who seems pretty confident in his guess for a girl.  Brad and I both initially thought girl when we first found out I was pregnant, but Brad’s feelings quickly went away and he has no idea one way or the other now.  I was pretty confident throughout my first trimester that we were having a girl, but in just the last 4 weeks, I’ve wondered if maybe it’s another boy.  And now as it gets closer, I have no idea.

With Grayson, from the beginning, both Brad and I thought boy.  I had about one week at the end of my first trimester that I thought, maybe it’s a girl?  But by the time we walked into our appointment, before the sonogram even began, Brad and I both informed the doctor that we knew it was a boy.  Not that knowing stopped me from crying my eyes out once I knew for sure (I had always planned on a house full of girls….and yes, I might just be a horrible mother for that.)  But now, I don’t think you’ll find anyone out there who loves having a little boy more than I do.  And even though he exhausts me to no end, I’d be happy to have three more just like him!

I know it’s the PC answer to say, “We don’t care,” but since when have we ever cared about being PC?  And we certainly weren’t concerned the first time around when we unapologetically answered, “Brad wants a boy and Haley wants a girl.”  But, this time, I think it’s safe and honest to say that we truly don’t care.  We want a healthy baby and we pray that baby is born on time, and that he or she gets to come home from the hospital when we do!

Monday is also the day that I am/was scheduled to begin progesterone injections (which are proven to reduce a repeat pre-mature birth from 55% to 37%).  However, due to KV Pharmaceuticals gaining exclusive rights to these injections (now renamed Makena), the price per dosage has risen from $10 to $1500, making the price per pregnancy go from $300 to $30,000.  While there is a chance of receiving financial assistance and insurance covering part of this cost, it could still easily cost $5,000 throughout a pregnancy even after insurance.  This issue is so new (this month actually!) that even doctors aren’t sure how to direct their patients, and alternative treatment really isn’t available from what I’ve read. 

http://blogs.forbes.com/davidwhelan/2011/03/11/is-kv-pharmaceutical-a-flat-out-evil-company/?partner=yahootix

(The answer to the title of this article is yes BTW!)

After stressing and crying over the issue the last few days, and with reminders from my always calm husband, we have come to the conclusion (even though we knew it all along) that we trust in the LORD and not in science or in medicine.  So, if I am to have these shots, he will make a way.  And if not, he still has this baby in his hands!  Even as Brad and I were praying about this last night, for the first time Brad felt the baby move (I THINK I have been feeling him/her for the last 2 or 3 weeks) and it was just another reminder of the miracle growing inside me, and that God is still in control!

9 comments:

The Roberts' said...

You know I think it's a girl!! :-) That company is ridiculous. I am encouraged by your faith - your baby's life is in HIS hands, not medicine's! He may use medicine but He is NOT dependent on it! I am praying for you!

Anonymous said...

hi haley! i just heard about this new makena issue a few days ago and it is infuriating. i am so sorry this happened just in time for your pregnancy, but i am trusting God with you. my goodness, these miracle babies like grayson and lucia really do change your perspective on having faith in Him. these days i find no alternative other than to trust that God will protect Lucia because He loves her more than i ever could. so, i am trusting with you and will be praying for you as your pregnancy progresses. :) almudena

The Haley Smith said...

Good news!

Pharmacies OK'd to Make Cheaper Version of Pre-Term Birth Drug

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/managing-your-healthcare/articles/2011/03/31/health-highlights-march-31-2011

It looks like the FDA stepped in and I may be able to get my injections cheaply from Walgreens after all! Thank you guys so much for your prayers!

Fallen Wheat said...

Congrats, Haley! I'm excited for you and your cute family!

I vote-girl.

By the way- I love your blog! It looks great and I've enjoyed being able to catch up with you a little. Your boy is precious.

The Haley Smith said...

Thanks Emily! So good to hear from you! Now, I have your blog and follow you too :)

The Lopases said...

i am so torn between boy and girl!!
usually I at least have SOME inclination [although it is often wrong], but I am stumped with you!

I guess I'll break the status quo and say BOY!

either way, we are super excited!!

The Haley Smith said...

Thanks Whitney! So are we! :)

Ryan and Melissa said...

My vote is girl! Although I would definitely love you having another boy and our baby boys would be 2 months apart! :-) Either way, he/she will already have a playmate! We're praying for this baby and know that God's hand of protection is over this baby's little life. I know God has a plan for the progesterone injections, and HE is ultimately in control! Thanks for being transparent! Love you and that little baby inside your belly! :-)

The Haley Smith said...

Thanks sweet friend! I am thankful too that regardless if the baby is a boy or girl, he/she will be so close in age with your little precious boy. As far as the progesterone shots go, it looks like the FDA made it to where we can now get the shots for cheap again. So, praise God for that! Now, I just have to worry about the pain :)